Funding home energy

Energy efficiency, funding and help with fuel costs

woman on pc

Energy from fossil fuels such as gas used to heat homes, hot water and power appliances is a major contributor to climate change.

Improving the energy efficiency of homes and buildings by reducing the energy we use and moving to using renewable sources such as solar panels is a national, regional and district priority.

There are pots of money available to help with improving the energy efficiency of homes and move them to low carbon heating systems. 

Some of those pots are open to all residents, and other pots are targeted at low-efficiency homes, low-income households and households with high fuel bills. 

Warm Homes Scheme

The Warm Homes Scheme helps eligible householders and tenants (in receipt of certain benefits) to pay for insulation, energy efficiency measures and move homes away from solid fuel and oil heating in their home. 

A contribution towards the cost may be necessary. Our supplier is Aran Services and you can call 01284 812 520 or email [email protected] to find out more if this service is suitable for you.

Winter Warmth Grant

ELDERLY LADY IPADWhere a household has someone over 60 years of age with a long-term health condition, the Winter Warmth Grant can be used to provide heating or insulation.

Younger people, especially those with under fives in the household can apply under specific circumstances. 

The grant is subject to repayment conditions if the house is sold.  Find out more on our help to adapt your home for a disabled person webpage.

Renewable Heat Incentive

You could get money towards producing renewable energy heat. Eligible producers will be paid for each unit (kWh) of heat produced by

  • biomass boilers

  • solar water heating

  • certain heat pumps

Find out more at the government’s Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive website.

Solar Together

SOLAR PANELA bulk discount scheme reducing the cost of installing solar panels and/or battery storage. 

The scheme is available for all residents of Canterbury (rented properties must be with the permission of the landlord). Find out more at the Solar Together website.

Help with paying bills

If you are struggling to afford your energy bills, you might be able to take advantage of certain benefits, grants and help offered by the government and energy suppliers.

Winter Fuel Payment

If you were born on or before 5 October 1954 you could get between £100 and £300 to help you pay your heating bills. 

You usually get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you are eligible and you get the State Pension or another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit). Find how much you can get and how to claim on GOV.UK.

Cold Weather Payments

Cold Weather Payments are one-off payments to help you pay for extra heating costs when it’s very cold. 

You will get a payment each time the temperature drops below a specific temperature for a set period of time. You’ll only be eligible if you already get:

  • Pension Credit

  • Income Support

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance

  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

  • Universal Credit

Find out more on the government’s Cold Weather Payments website.

Warm Home Discount Scheme

boots fire

Check with your supplier to see if they offer the Warm Home Discount – not all suppliers are part of the scheme. You have to apply yourself and you might be able to get £140 off your electricity bill if you are:

  • getting the guarantee credit part of Pension Credit

  • on a low income

Find out more about the Warm Home Discount Scheme on GOV.UK.

Grants to help pay off your energy debts

If you have large arrears on your gas, electricity or water bills the following energy companies offer grants and schemes:

There are also companies who offer grants specifically for their customers:

When you apply for a grant, you will have to provide detailed information about your financial situation in your application. 

It could take a while to complete, and it might be worth getting help applying.

The charity Charis Grants can help you with the application. Alternatively you can get help from an adviser at Citizens Advice.

Energy switching

Changing your energy supplier may save money on your bills. You can use one of the cost comparison sites or buy as part of a collective group.

If you require further assistance with debt advice contact