Scheme opens to help people struggling with their bills

Scheme opens to help people struggling with their bills

People on low incomes or means-tested benefits struggling to afford their gas, electricity, water, food or other essential bills like school uniforms this winter can apply to the Household Support Fund from today (Thursday 10 February).

The money has been made available by the government’s Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and it has asked Canterbury City Council to run the scheme on its behalf.

People have until Monday 21 March to apply for help.

Lead councillor for grants and community support, Cllr Joe Howes, said: “We want to get this vital cash to those that need it as quickly as we can. We know recovering from the pandemic has hit many people incredibly hard and we hope this money can ease the burden as much as possible.

“The fund is open to applications from households on means-tested benefits or with a low income that include those with children, couples and people living on their own.”

To apply, people must be over the age of 16, live within the Canterbury City Council district and be in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:

  • Universal Credit
  • Housing Benefits
  • Pension Credit
  • Council Tax Reduction
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Income Support
  • Income-Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payments

People are also eligible if they are on a low income with less than £500 in the bank and suffering hardship.

The amount of money someone will receive depends on what they need help with and who lives with them.

For examples, more information and to apply, go to the council's website.

Published: 9 February 2022

Sign up for email alerts

You can sign up to receive notifications when a post is added to an area you’re interested in.

Sign up